Travel is a passion of mine, as is ease of travel and budget friendly luxury. None of these things seem to go together very well, but I'm learning ropes that make it so much easier if we are just willing to be flexible.
Food is a whole other passion of mine. I am a cook, not professional yet, but I like to think I can make some pretty fantastic food, so when I go out to eat I expect it to be better than what I can make myself. This doesn't mean that everywhere I eat is gourmet my any stretch, but I do expect things to be excellent for what they are. I also think if I pay a small fortune for a meal, it had better be spectacular, the service had better be top notch and I had better be sad that the meal is over. Actually I want to be sad the meal is over, regardless of where I eat, I think that is a good new rule.
Finally the advice part, this is the part that I hope is useful to some of you. I hope that I can help you get better deals, better food and steer away from tourist traps, well at least the tourist spots that are just terrible and for whatever reason maintain a mystique. I generally try and avoid tourist spots when I travel, at least for a majority of the trip. I don't think it's possible to get to know a place by going where everybody who is visiting also goes. Go where the locals go if you can, I know it sounds trite but it does pay off. Some touristy spots however are worth a gander, such as Primanti Brothers in Pittsburgh, Hominy Grill in Charleston SC and any Chicago hot dog vendor. Trust me these places are well known for good reason, and are worth a taste.
Fair warning, much of this blog will be about the food and hotel I experience of a place. I also have a thing for old churches, old cemeteries and fried green tomatoes (I order them everywhere I go). If I return to a place it usually means it's awesome, or my boyfriend happens to be working there so I'm visiting and searching for something good. I welcome suggestions and feedback about any place I post about. I'm also always game for new places to go, big or small, so if there is a place you think I cannot live without visiting, please let me know. With all that being said, welcome and I hope you enjoy the ride!!
No comments:
Post a Comment